Monday, January 30, 2012

Resident Touristing

My favorite New York view: the last thing I would see before getting on the Bolt Bus to come back to Boston, and the first thing I'd see when I arrived in New York.

I lived in Manhattan for three years, and I had a love-hate relationship with the island. On the one hand, I had amazing experiences in New York and made some of the best friends I've ever known. On the other hand, I was four hours from the city where my heart lived. Looking back now, I appreciate all that New York gave me and I'm glad I took the plunge to leave New England in 2008.

As a student, I know I had a bit of a weird New York life; while most New Yorkers travel long distances on the subway every day, my world was largely confined to a 10 block radius. This meant that when friends and family came to visit, I got to be both travel guide and tourist.

Photographing landmarks in a city like New York is a great communal experience; for every amazing shot and angle you can sense the thousands of people who had taken the exact same photograph in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment